• This topic has 146 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 5 months agone by ejmstudios.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 141 full)

  • Author

    Posts

  • #1047112

    Piggybacking on Diane Cutter'southward comments:

    Didactics=understanding=enlightenment.

    liking/hating is a affair of gustatory modality aka one'southward personal aesthetic.
    (plus – artists seem to like art that looks nearly similar their own :wink2: )

    This is a pretty good general overview/ overall perspective of the "what is" office of Abstract.

    http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/GLOSSARY/Abstruse.HTM

    #1047181

    Personally I don't think I prefer any particular genre over another. It merely needs to be skilful, where good is a verb. I tend to like item artists whatever they do , abstract, realist whatever…

    Uhm , and ......ooh yeah ...DIG :D

    #1047197

    An (abstract) artist, if he/she wishes to be appreciated by [I]whatever[/I]ane, needs to honor issues of good composition: structure, color, space, line, intent… Without good composition the painting will fall apart.

    Diane

    very truthful – something those who produce shallow 'patterns' and think they are abstracts need to acquire!

    #1047199

    this is a most interesting thread — information technology addresses a lot of the very concepts I've been struggling with recently … what (if anything) is the standard that makes abstraction "expert"? Is fine art, on a worldwide level, dead? Practice artists still accept the power to daze and inspire a generally uneducated public? Does it fifty-fifty matter if they do or don't? Where are today'due south visionaries — artisitic, literary, musical, etc?

    I have no answers at nowadays to any of these questions, though I think Diane summed upwardly the general standard (as I see information technology) pretty well —

    abstracts, like anything else, need a expert sense of color, composition, depth, etc. to work, or they fall autonomously. — either that, or a deliberate and confrontational thwarting of that– which can sometimes work, as well, in my opinion.

    Okay, I plainly have nothing coherent to add now, but just wanted to say I appreciate this thread.

    #1047211

    Interesting thread…
    I personally experience that at that place are a lot of people who practice appreciate abstract art…those that do not well that's upward to them…I don't appreciate installation art (on the whole). Yous can't please all of the people all of the fourth dimension etc..

    I am however suprised by people who don't similar art full stop. I was talking with friends nearly fine art and the fact that I paint abstract images when a woman (not in the conversation I might add) piped upwardly with I don't similar art it a pile of crap! To this I said well what do you ascertain as fine art, she replied its all cows heads and elephant dung! Interesting I idea so I said what do you enjoy doing and she replied I like walking in the countryside looking at the scenery and wildlife. I asked her if she would appreciate a painting which captured the view and mood she loves so that she could hang it on her wall and migrate off into information technology whils't having a cuppa. To this she crumbled and admitted "well if it was something nice like that and then I suppose I do like art."

    I waffle I know but I call back this proves someone elses point that information technology is the way y'all look at something…education if you like.

    Tata for now
    elbo

    :D
    —–
    Accept a look at some of my ebay auctions
    http://search.ebay.co.u.k./_W0QQsassZmannyb93

    http://www.artikonline.co.uk

    #1047194

    Okay, up until near a year ago I was the person who was saying, "My 12 twelvemonth-sometime sister could exercise that" well-nigh abstract I art. I didn't 'get information technology.' I felt like a few blocks, or squiggles on a canvas was nada special. So, I never gave it the fourth dimension of day. I skipped the modernistic section in museums and opted for the impressionism wings. Merely, I went on a trip with some friends who dragged me into the mod art section. Information technology completely blew my listen. now Mark Rothko is my favorite painter (this week) for his use of color, and how he conveys emotion with it and a few bands.

    I think many people who criticize mod/abstract art won't go see it in person, where it's MUCH more powerful. Afterwards seeing an exhibit I come across how much more than emotional abstruse and expressionist art is, it'south and so different in person.

    At present, I PREFER abstract and contemporary art over anything else.

    So, I think everyone should have to run across some abstracts in person before judging :D

    "It is a widely accepted notion among painters that it does not matter what 1 paints as long equally information technology is well painted. This is the essence of academicism. There is no such matter as proficient painting about null." - Mark Rothko

    "Every good painter paints what he is." - Jackson Pollock

    #1047110

    Hi, this is a great exegesis on why some people detest certain abstract art.

    Please don't flame this guy; he'south new on the boards and he was responding to ane of my interpretations of Motherwell (he might certainly be expressing a view others might have had but were too polite to limited :D)

    I call back information technology sums up the answer to the original question nicely: (BTW, I've had these views in the past; mine have simply recently changed –epiphany )

    Hello I am new hither and only want to go started talking…dont have this every bit unkind but…I am ill of the slop in art… I think this Motherwell stuff has went on for likewise long in art…I use to ever believe that everything was fine art… but this only degrades art…I also feel art should be very gratuitous…but with liberty comes responsibillity…. All these paintings of squares of colour…does nothing for me …and I think information technology also does zilch for those who view it… I go to galleries to see fine art…and most of the time I can walk through with out anything catching my centre or my mind for more than 15 seconds….This abstract expressionism…or what ever tag y'all desire to requite it has ruined art….almost of it is painted so it will match the couch of some buyers living room I remember…. Information technology is time that creative person gave the viewer something that stirs their mind….making people respect art over again… I am non against abstruse… I do fine art that could be called abstract…. but I put great effort into it and piece of work for many many hours on it to make information technology interesting and thought provoking to the viewer…the average person does not desire to get come across art that looks equally if they could do information technology…or their ii twelvemonth old..( most 2 year sometime art is good matter of fact ) … should art only exist for the those schooled in art… I don't think so…art should reach out to everyone…and not just those with proper training or knowledge of it…nosotros need the averge person to come await at our work….we are trying to accomplish him…are we non…and with these quick slopped together pieces we concenter nobody….. except others that are doing the same…and why attempt and reach them…they already know what it is that the artist of such a style is proverb…fine art needs to exist respected once more…and such stuff as Motherwell volition non do it… it is time for a change in the art world….

    I do not wish to first antagonistic discussion here… I know this is a touchy subject area for some here…. only could we talk calmly about it…I hateful no insults by my post…I am just expressing my thoughts here…

    Beak

    "Well, look, if I paint what you know, that will but bore you.... If I paint what I know, it volition be boring to myself. Therefore I paint what I don't know." Franz Kline (quoted in Gaugh, Franz Kline, 1985)

    #1047143

    Howdy, this is a great exegesis on why some people hate certain abstract art.

    Please don't flame this guy; he'south new on the boards and he was responding to i of my interpretations of Motherwell (he might certainly exist expressing a view others might have had only were also polite to express :D)

    Ratz; Y'all have all the fun out of Sunday Mornings, Nib. I had a hankerin' for a crucifixion today. :wink2:

    ~ Give a fool enough rope and he'll hang himself. ~

    #1047111

    Ratz; You take all the fun out of Lord's day Mornings, Nib. I had a hankerin' for a crucifixion today. :wink2:

    LOL, tam, pitiful to ruin your fun, but I try never to sssssin on ssssssunday, we've got 6 other days ya know :D

    i'm sidelined with a bug anyhow, no fight left…..:(

    Nib

    "Well, wait, if I paint what you know, that volition just bore you.... If I paint what I know, it will be deadening to myself. Therefore I pigment what I don't know." Franz Kline (quoted in Gaugh, Franz Kline, 1985)

    #1047144

    *Repents*

    :angel:

    Sidenote: it IS good that people can just express their "opinions" (and that IS all they are) without being met with a barrage of defensiveness.

    ~ Give a fool plenty rope and he'll hang himself. ~

    #1047182

    Hi all

    What a wonderful thread. I want to thank all the wonderful people here who have made this so interesting. I have been a realist painter all my life and commonly dismissed the abstruse style of painting as beingness unproblematic. How hard could it be to slop some colors on a canvas with careless abandon. I have always painted in a realistic fashion, making a tree await like a tree or a rock look similar a rock, literally. Subsequently all these years of painting the mode I exercise I at present find that this isn't enough anymore. It has finally sunk in that in order for me to abound equally an artist and to make my art fun for me to do once more I am going to accept to break new ground and try something different. In between works that I now do I am trying to make what I think is some abstract fine art and have found that it is Not simply slopping some color on a canvas. I am like everyone else in that there is some non-representational art that I similar and other that I do not similar. I accept painted all my life and thought that it couldn't be to hard to put together some piece of work of the blazon I liked. HOW WRONG I WAS. I am finding that it is very hard to compose an abstract or non-representitional painting that I like. Not having whatever formal fine art education I was one of those who thought that "whatsoever kid" could do that when I looked at nearly abstract fine art. I now have a new respect, and I add, appreciation, for this form of art every bit a upshot of my trying to do some if it. I now firmly believe that "any child" CAN'T practice it. Right now I am experimenting and it is starting to put some of the fun back my painting. I have felt the need to loosen up on my style and this is just the ticket that I demand to attain this. Believe me, sometime habits are hard to suspension. Thanks all again for making this such an interesting thread.


    At that place is NOTHING in the whole globe that everybody likes and there is nobody in the whole world that likes EVERYTHING.
    Perception is all important. A person does non only run into what is before him, what they see is influenced and based on their ain personnal experiences
    :) http://lowellsart.blogspot.com

    #1047152

    Certainly an interesting thread.

    This isn't normally my forum because I am 1 of those who does non really capeesh abstract although I can appreciate impressionist works when well done.

    I'grand more of a realist lover, I strive for that myself. I know other artists and non artists who don't like something to wait also real like a photograph, they prefer information technology to be, at to the lowest degree, slightly painterly but so we are all different.
    Don't worry heed, I practice non suffer from "Burnt umber affliction", and I do sympathize and capeesh colour to a high degree.

    1 of my assignments back at higher was to visit a local gallery full of surrealistic piece of work and abstract stuff. Yes, I saw it in person and, no, information technology did absolutely zip for me any.
    I could do information technology myself if I wanted to similar when you doodle with lines and swirls, all representing what yous feel at the time, but doodling when I'm bored at work or something isn't really challenging for me and neither would exist using paint to do the aforementioned thing on canvas. I prefer the challenge of being able to render something so that it tin can await convincingly real to the eye.

    I'grand likewise a very musical person, but, not all music does it for you, does it? Aforementioned with art. Lots of older people especially, hate modern music, saying information technology is just a dissonance and all the remainder. Some of it is but and then some of it is also very good.
    Music, I notice does convey feeling and emotion beyond more obviously than art and still, each given tune or song tin't appeal to everyone. Aforementioned goes for art. All genres go slammed, not only abstract.

    With art, those messages are a lot more subtle and be in all genres, non merely abstract. In abstruse, that is pretty much all it is about, the feeling and emotion transferred onto paper/canvas by the artist by using colour and varying strokes, splashes, dots, lines whatever, only how many of you could await at an unknown abstract piece and know, just by looking at information technology, exactly what the artist was thinking at the time? Matter is, you couldn't actually because everyone interprets things differently and everyone would employ different effects/colours/strokes etc.. to stand for different moods and feelings and then there is really no way of telling unless that artist described information technology to y'all. Some people, therefore, don't see the existent point, they like to run across something they can relate to and capeesh high skill at being able to render something to brand it look convincing to the centre.
    I know that those people who do appreciate abstract fine art like information technology because they interpret the piece they are looking at in their ain mode and enjoy doing it even though that perchance unlike to the artists. Those who don't like it may not similar taking the liberty to do that or they peradventure simply unable to translate it as anything. I suppose even those of you who practise like this genre can't interpret every piece in a way that satisfies you.
    And then, there are the people who just don't get annihilation out of it. I can look at any piece I desire and translate it every bit any I like, I have a vivid imagination, but, it isn't something that specially strikes me, evokes anything in me so to speak. I go it but my gunkhole isn't kept afloat by information technology. Same with certain types of music. I don't remember it is rubbish, it but doesn't evoke anything in me, therefore, I don't listen to it.

    I find a lot of abstruse artists or impressionists also slam realism because they say nosotros are as well much of a slave to our refs, mayhap even go as far as saying it isn't art considering it is as well "Safe". They couldn't be more wrong if they tried and they are expressing the same ignorance to realism every bit they are accusing people of expressing towards abstruse.
    In my sig, yous volition see a painting of a Border Collie that I did. My Border collie. I've had her since she was a pup and she is almost thirteen years old. Yes, I used a photo as ref, one that I took but the photo was a guide. Virtually of what went into that painting was the feelings evoked in me past my dearest dog. I look at that painting and run across our Mist. Now I look at the ref photo and she looks different, almost similar it isn't her.
    In other words, I painted Mist as I see her through my eyes, not how the camera sees her. I accept a proffessional photo of my dogs I had taken a few years ago and it just doesn't hold the aforementioned meaning to me as a good painting of them. After all, that is just what a piece of machinary saw, a painting is what a real person saw.

    Obviously, I couldn't await her to sit nonetheless long enough to do a painting like this of her and then I had to employ a photo as ref.

    The only time art does become seriously ludicrous to the signal where I tin can't really understand the point is such every bit the likes of the Turner Prize entries. Like that bag of rubbish in one gallery that got thrown in the skip by the cleaners but for them to observe out later that information technology was actually a slice of fine art. They retreived information technology from the skip but the creative person said information technology was likewise badly damaged. :rolleyes: Well, if he wanted a handbag of rubbish, it would look fifty-fifty more assuredly like one later it's little visit to the skip, haha.

    The average human looks without seeing, listens without hearing, touches without feeling, eats without tasting, moves without physical awareness, inhales without awareness of olfactory property or fragrance and talks without thinking.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

    http://world wide web.tmhudsonfineart.co.u.k.

    #1047212

    A simpleton's betoken of view…"If I like information technology, I am happy. If someone else likes it, I am successful." I VERY recently have gotten over the fright of showing my piece of work to anyone for all of the reasons mentioned by all. I adopt abstruse considering they make me retrieve, imagine, wonder, 'solve', perceive blah blah. I like piece of work that you tin wait at time subsequently time and come across or feel something new each time-can anybody do that with a portrait? Don't get me wrong, I dear all types of styles and I am jealous of those who tin paint the human being trunk or a confront that doesn't resemble a Halloween costume, but abstract to me is more only a pretty motion-picture show.

    #1047153

    tin anybody do that with a portrait?

    I think that all depends upon the person looking at it. Peradventure not for you but that doesn't mean it won't for others. I accept known portraits were you can meet the feeling and emotion portrayed in the subjects eyes oozing out to the viewer, something y'all can relate to yourself maybe, information technology makes you think most all the things related to that feeling, things that take happened to you perhaps, that you have seen, felt and as well leaves you complimentary to imagine why the subject area in that painting might be feeling that way and why the artist chose to pigment a person with that expression as opposed to somebody who expressed a dissimilar emotion that detail fourth dimension. After all, the expression shown in the bailiwick is oftentimes a reflection of how the artist felt themselves, they choose their subjects in relation to their electric current feelings. To some, a realistic portrait tin take you lot staring at it for hours, to others, an abstract piece is more than likely to have you staring for hours.

    Either way, yous are left to imagine what you will, even different everytime, be information technology realistic or abstract.

    The boilerplate human looks without seeing, listens without hearing, touches without feeling, eats without tasting, moves without physical awareness, inhales without awareness of odour or fragrance and talks without thinking.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

    http://world wide web.tmhudsonfineart.co.united kingdom

    #1047213

    before I showtime something I cannot defend…allow me re-explain my "portrait" phrase. I am request everyone, tin can whatsoever of y'all encounter something different in a realistic portrait every time you look at it? Does it hateful I am under-educated if I cannot? Sometimes I feel that mode, especially if I run across people raving about a 'girl in a chair', and I am standing in that location thinking to myself, "Are you serious?" "I must non know something about art appreciation because I can't see information technology." Silly?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 141 total)

  • The topic 'Why exercise a lot of people hate abstract art?' is closed to new replies.